About the Orientation Course
The AMI 0-3 Orientation Certificate Course (formerly known as the AMI 0-3 Assistants Certificate Course) is designed to provide an overview of the 0-3 child. It is useful for parents, guardians, and adults from all walks of life who are interested in child development in general, specifically for children under 3 years of age. The course offers an in depth understanding of Dr. Montessori’s approach to education and an insight into the importance of observation. Course work will consist of lectures, readings, practical sessions, discussions, and material making. The course highlights the important work of an adult as an assistant to the child’s development. Upon completion of the course requirements, participants are awarded a certificate from AMI which will enable them to assist a child under 3 years of age both at home and in school.
Download Application (pdf) Download Flyer (pdf)
Course Venue, Schedule and Timings:
The Course will be conducted Online via Zoom. Google Classroom will be used for accessing and uploading assignments. More information to follow once registered for the course.
Dates: May 03 to May 21, 2021
Days of the Week: 5 days, Monday – Friday (Off on 13th May owing to the festival of ID)
Timings: 3:45 PM to 6:30 PM IST
60 hours plus 9 hours of observation
Synchronous-38.5 hours (live sessions on Zoom)
Asynchronous -21.5 hours (Time outside of Zoom sessions)
Asynchronous time -21.5 hours (approximate break-up)
Material Making -2 hours
3 period name lesson-2 hours
Summary writing on observations – 4 hours
Other assignments-4.5 hours
The Application Process
The application from is uploaded on the website. It needs to be filled up, signed, taken a print and emailed to the following email address.
Please note that the last date of application is 28th April 2021.
The course fees is Rs. 25000/- payable through bank transfer, the details of which are as follows –
For Indian Students
Sir Ratan Tata Institute
Bank Name: Bank of Baroda, Gamdevi Branch
A/c No: 03940100024173
IFSC Code: BARB0GAMDEV
MICR Code: 400012026
For Asian and Foreign Students OR Payments from out of India
Sir Ratan Tata Institute, 35, N.S. Patkar Marg, Mumbai – 400007 (India)
Bank Name: HDFC Bank
Bank Address: Hughes Road Branch, Mandek Lodge, 85, N.S. Patkar Marg, Mumbai – 400007 (India)
A/c No: 50100225115377
IFSC Code: HDFC0000567
MICR Code: 400240072
Swift Code: HDFCINBB
- The application form duly completed should be submitted at the Ratan Tata Institute’s address mentioned in the Course Brochure OR email a scan copy [email protected]
- The application form should be accompanied by
- Scanned copy of the application with passport size photograph.
- A xerox copy of the relevant certificate.
- Life Sketch (500 words about yourself)
- Medical Certificate
Download Application (pdf) Download Flyer (pdf)
The course lectures will touch upon some of the main principles of Montessori education.
- Montessori theory of child development
- Development of language, movement and independence
- Preparation and maintenance of the environment
- Role of an adult in a child’s life
- Observation and its relevance
- Freedom and Limits
- Importance of Order
- Toilet Learning
- Grace and Courtesy
The course also includes practical sessions.
- Music & Art
- Learning techniques for vocabulary building
- Material making
- Movement of Furniture, Grace &Courtesy
Child observation is a requirement for certification. Students will need to do a total of 9 hours of Observation of children 0- to 3 years. They will be required to write observation notes and submit a written summary of their observations. More details will be shared once the course begins.
Students will need to submit written work at regular intervals during the course. These assignments will include theory essays, material making, observation reports and guided reading task. In order to complete the reading task, the student will need to have access to the required reading books. All assignments and task must be completed in order to receive the certificate.
In order to receive the certificate students must have 90% attendance. Students with attendance below 90% will not be eligible for an AMI certificate. For the online class please make sure you have a reliable internet service that allows for you to have your camera on at all times during class hours. If the camera is switched of during class, the student will be marked absent for that session.
All lectures will be in English. Course work will be presented in English.
The AMI 0-3 Orientation Course Certificate is awarded to those who complete all the course requirements. In order to receive the AMI 0-3 Orientation Course Certificate, the applicant should:
- Have 90% attendance
- Submit all original assignments in your own words
- Complete the required hours of observation and submit an Observation report/summary.
- Complete the required material making
Books and Stationery
The following books will be required for the Course.
- Montessori, Maria The Absorbent Mind- Indian Montessori Foundation
- Montessori, Maria Education for a New World- Indian Montessori Foundation
- Montessori, Maria The Child in the Family- Indian Montessori Foundation
- Montessori, Maria The Secret of Childhood- Orient Blackswan, Hyderabad
- Montanaro, Silvana Understanding the Human Being( Relevant chapters of this book will be made available to the students)
- Montessori, Maria The 1946 London Lectures- Montessori-Pierson Publishing Company
Books published by Indian Montessori Foundation (IMF) will be available for sale at:
About the AMI Auxiliary Trainer
Originally an MBA graduate, Vibhuti Jain became interested in Montessori education while volunteering at her son’s Montessori School. She earned her AMI diploma at the 0-3 level in 2009 from Hangzhou, China. Subsequently, she set up the first Infant Community in a school in India where she worked for 7-8 years. She began the AMI Training of Trainers Program in 2017 and was attached with the teacher training courses at TMI Denver, USA over a span of 4 years. She is currently attached with the teacher training course at Chongqing, China. She gained the Auxiliary Trainer status in early January 2021. She has assisted 0-3 teacher training courses in Taipei and Bangalore for brief periods. She regularly conducts parenting workshops. She is passionate about working in the area of 0-3 Montessori education and strongly believes that this is the foundation for a better world.